Friday, August 22, 2008

I'm a teacher! 4 days, 1 hour....

I survived my first week of school, well….. almost! Let me give you a quick recap of my first week of being a 3rd grade teacher. It all started on Sunday night when I had a small panic attack of a few things I hadn’t finished. So I left my parents house in my car and drove to my school in Lehi. (My check engine light when on Friday, but I had to get to school.) I drove to my school and looked around my classroom trying to find a place to start. Upon my decision of where to start my Mom called because I had left a puddle of something on the driveway and my Dad wanted me to come back. I was so frustrated. Oh how I hate my car. So I turned around and drove back to SF. I got my sister’s car and returned to my classroom. I sharpened some pencils and made sure everything was in place. I then drove to Eagle Mountain to stay with my friend Mary for my first week of teaching. ( I was kicked out of my apt. on the 15th and can’t move into my next one until the 29th.) I was so nervous and had a hard time going to sleep.

Here I am on my way out the door. Wish me luck!

The first day was long and full of a ton of procedures and talking. No one had warned me of how hard the first day would actually be. I left the school thinking, did I pick the right career? I wasn’t so sure anymore. I went to the Jack Johnson concert with my friend Rachel and it was a lot of fun. I might have looked a little nerdy with my teacher bag- for some reason I felt like I needed to do some school things during the pre-show. I also forgot to bring clothes to change into and was wearing a dress shirt and slacks. Haha. I ended up getting home at 1:00 and I was so tired. Dreading the next day. (Pictures will be posted as soon as Rachel gets situated at her new home... I miss you tons!!!!) This picture I stole from Rachel's brother Wally and sister in law Lindsey's blog. Gotta love the teacher get up.

The rest of the week was a ton of fun. As soon as we got into our routine I realized that I did love teaching and that I enjoy being with my cute 33 students everyday.

While I was staying at Mary’s house her darling baby Korbin got sick on Wednesday night and was throwing up. I didn’t think anything of it. Until the next day when I got home and Mary told me she had gotten sick too. I was hardly at their house, except for to sleep, so I didn’t think I would be affected.

Friday morning, 4:00 am surprise surprise!!!! Alyse is sick and doesn’t know what to do. I decided to attempt going to school and got ready. I stopped at smiths and got some seven up and saltine crackers. The cure all for upset stomachs, or at least that’s what my mom always gave me. I went to school and ran into my co teacher Jen and she could tell I wasn’t feeling good. I started crying because I didn’t want to get a sub my first week of school. So I attempted to teach, but the first hour didn’t go over so well. I went into the office at 9 and my awesome secretary called in a sub. Luckily I was able to get my sub plans put together quickly. I spent the whole day sleeping on my couch, trying to fight the stomach virus. Luckily Mary said it only lasts one day.

Exciting moments from week 1:

The first day: I was having the students write, as I was walking around asking questions, I finally reached one boy and his face was kind of green, he was like, Can I go to the bathroom, I’m going to barf. I told him to run. The next day we talked about the fact if your going to barf, you don’t need to ask. RUN. Especially when we are in the trailer and not that close to the bathroom.

The second day: I had the students bring a brown lunch bag with 5 things in it, to help introduce themselves to the class. The kids LOVED this activity. One girl brought something that her aunt had given her before she died. After they share their 5 I let them answer 3 questions from the class. One kid asked how her aunt died. The girl went into detail of how her aunt was a drunk and had killed herself by hanging herself. I had a small panic attack and quickly asked a question to change the subject. And the assistant principal came in and observed me for like 15 minutes during writing. I was a little nervous at first, but things went smoothly!!!!

The third day: we were doing a snowball activity for spelling. I set the expectations that they couldn’t talk. After the first round there were kids talking so I gave them a warning and told them if they continued that they would have to throw away their papers and write all of their spelling words 3 times each. I guess they kept talking because the next thing I am walking around the class with a trash. My kids knew I was serious then!!!!

The fourth day: I survived the day…. My Aunt came to my classroom a few minutes before lunch and brought me a treasure chest full of little rewards for my students. They were thrilled. She also surprised me with a salad from Café Rio. It was such a nice suprise!!!! Thank you so much Aunt Yvonne!!!! I am staying with her for my second week of homelessness!!!!

Friday- The fifth day—My success is that I didn’t throw up while I was at school. Haha.

Stay tuned for some excitement next week. I Pray that I will make it all 5 days.

No comments: