Thursday, July 1, 2010

Rainbow Bridge

On Sunday we went for a long boat ride, and by long I mean 6 or 7 hours total. We left early packing lunches and drove over 50 miles to our destination. We stopped at a few different places on the way there and on the way back. (A lot of stops just to jump in and cool off, it was HOT!) Our main stop of the trip was to Rainbow Bridge. We parked the boat and walked 2/3rds of a mile. It had to be 100 degrees so most turned around before we got to the top. As long as Bob and I got a picture, we were fine to turn around.

Apparently it was the centennial of the monument. I figured I should take a picture. My sister Andrea went to the top and talked to the rangers. She learned some neat facts about how in the beginning 200 people would visit a year, and now over 200 people visit the monument each day. When we filled in the paper as visitors, there were 3 or 4 pages already filled in from the same day.

I can't remember what year they dammed the lake, but it took 17 years to fill up Lake Powell. How amazing, I am so glad someone thought of it. Lake Powell is like my second home.

Rainbow Bridge at it's best....
Bob and I standing in front the Rainbow Bridge. We stopped here and turned around.

No comments: