Sunday, September 14, 2008

I have survived!

I just finished week four, and I couldn't believe how fast the week went by, even with a head cold. I was constantly blowing my nose or coughing, and it was hard at times.... but getting a sub is so much work and not worth it when you just have a cold. I am now taking vitamin C pills and drinking OJ every morning.

This week there are going to be some new changes.... I am starting to do Words Their Way which is a spelling program that I used during my student teaching. I also learned about it during my college classes and was sure I would use it in my own class. When I was hired I found out that none of the teachers on my team were using it, and I decided to opt out and do the same thing they were doing. But, I soon realized (after my first spelling test) that my kids were on completely different levels. Some were getting 100 without even practicing and some were struggling to get 5 our of 15. Individualized spelling lists, are the way too go. It's a little more work, but so much more rewarding. The 2nd grade and 4th grade use this program, and hopefully the 3rd grade team will adopt it along with me.

Tomorrow we have an assembly, it's from Ken Garff for their reading program. It's like the one where you win a car, except at the elementary level you win a bike. I am excited for the kids to have another incentive to read each night. Oh how I love to read, I hope that I can pass that on to my students.

I got my first book order back. And can I just say, I LOVE LOVE LOVE book orders. They are so amazing. How did I not know how many free books you get when your a teacher. My class ordered over 100 books and being a new teacher I got a lot of bonus points. With those points you can buy books. I got 49 free books with my points, and I only spent half of them. I got the Magic Tree House series, book 1-35! The kids loved them and were reading like crazy on Friday.

On Friday in the afternoon, I was about to read my kids a book and the power went out. I decided that we were going outside. It was a nice day and it was too dark in the class to read. I read the story, and the power was still off. I let the kids get their own books and for 10 minutes we all laid on the grass and read. It was so much fun. Sometimes I forget I have to be the teacher and observe, I wanted to just lay there and read my book along with them.

In library the librarian showed the kids pictures of the faculty from high school. For some of the older teachers, it was fun to see what they looked like 20+ years ago. I turned in my jr. picture instead of my senior, because I looked a lot different. I feel like I look the same as when I was a senior... minus the extra 20 pounds. haha. I had short hair that had blonde and red highlights. The kids were freaking out. It was so fun.

I just have to say, I Love teaching. I seriously can't believe how blessed I am. I have a great class and my school is awesome. I was a little worried that I wouldn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I go to school everyday and love being there. I don't mind bringing things home to work on either. I am so glad I made the correct career choice!

No comments: